I Admit I Am Powerless Against Hipsters...

I have recently come to harsh and sudden realization that I may be a hipster.  As with many major character flaws, I realize that everyone else saw the signs before I did.  First and foremost, those of you reading this are probably yelling at your monitors: YOU WRITE A BLOG!  HOW DID YOU NOT KNOW THIS?!  Well, denial is a powerful thing.  I realize now that becoming a hipster is a process, not an event.  No one decides to do it, it happens gradually.  It's very much how babies are born. People get careless and mistakes are made.


That being said, I blame all of you.  It started off slow.  I liked their sunglasses.  That's it.  Then it began to pick up steam.  I started shopping at Urban Outfitters and wearing clever graphic T's.  I started to like bands until they were commercially successful and then would accuse them of changing their sound and selling out.  I find women that wear those fake, geeky glasses incredibly sexy.  I even, and I'm not proud to admit it, fashioned an ironic fascination with Matthew McConaughey (which I hope is heterosexual).  Troublingly, that has since blossomed into a love of the man that is no longer ironic (or probably heterosexual).

My question is: where were my friends and family when I needed them the most?  Had my drug been heroin instead of a fixation/hatred of popular culture they would have formed a group and intervened I'm sure.  But they were asleep at the wheel and let me become the monster I am now.  They should have sat with a professional and read out statements telling me what I had become.

Family Member 1: Those T-shirts are embarrassing to buy for you and they cost forty dollars each.

Friend 1: You are very condescending of my affinity toward Justin Bieber even though millions love him as well.

Friend 2: Kings of Leon are still a great band even though they no longer live in their parent's basements.

Family Member 2: You don't look nearly as good in Wayfarer sunglasses as you think you do.

Family Member 3: You do look good in flannel, but you insist on wearing it in the summer.  It makes you look like a sweaty, uncomfortable lumberjack.

Something like that would have been incredibly helpful.  Although, there is a very good chance I would have accused you all of being corporate sheep in a patronizing tone and then went home and watched a documentary about people growing their own food in Brooklyn like an asshole.

Still, they say the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one.  I will be twelve-stepping my way from hipsterdom hopefully.  But none of you should expect a phone call at the "making amends" stage of my recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment